Picking paint colors can be a very daunting task. By following a few simple steps this task could be a little less stressful.
If you are starting with a clean slate – no existing furniture, art, accessories that will dictate a certain color palette:
1) Know which colors you don’t like & eliminate them right away. This will help to lessen the amount of colors you will be looking through.
2) Decide whether you want a warm feeling or cool feeling in the room. For more of a warm feeling eliminate Blues, Greens & all colors with these undertones. For more of a cool feeling eliminate Reds, Yellows & all colors with these undertones.
3) Now that you have reduced your options by about ¾ have a look at what is left. Put the ones that stand out to the side – if they are ones you like put them in the maybe pile, if they are ones you don’t care for put them in the discard pile.
4) Once you have narrowed your choice once more, get several swatches of each color in the maybe pile & put them up on each wall of the room. Look at these colors over several days at various times of day & with different light sources. This will allow you to get a good idea of how the colors will look before purchasing the paint & hiring a painter. This step should narrow your choices down to the new color for your room.
If you are working with existing furniture, art or accessories:
1) The 1st step will be to have a look at the accent colors in the pillows, art or accessories & identify which ones you like best.
2) Take the item with the color(s) you like in to the paint store with you to select paint chips that will work well with it.
3) Gather a few paint chips of each color & bring them home to see how they look in the room you plan to paint – the lighting & surroundings in the paint store are very different from the room in your home. Lighting greatly affects paint colors.
4) Put the swatches up on each wall of the room & look at them over several days at various times of day & with different light sources. This will allow you to get a good idea of how the colors will look before purchasing the paint & hiring a painter. This step should narrow your choices down to the new color for your room.
If you are still over whelmed or finding it too difficult to narrow down your choices calling a decorator for a color consultation would be your best bet. This will provide you with unbiased expert advice & a set of fresh eyes to help you move forward with your decor transformation.
DecoChic Interiors offers color consultation packages for 1 room to an entire home. Call today to book the appointment that will melt away the stress of navigating the thousands of color options on the market!
Kelly Penuita is the Lead Interior Stylist at DecoChic Interiors where she specializes in Residential Interior Decorating and Home Staging in Winnipeg, MB. Her company is based on integrity, respect and trust – the fundamentals to building lasting relationships with her clients. www.decochicinteriors.ca